5.28.2013

Urban Decay Basics Palette

My friend studying in the US came back a little over a week ago, bringing me lovely stuff that she helped me get, one of which was the Urban Decay Basics Palette. I do not have the orginal naked palette or the Naked 2 palette, I opted for the basics palette because the shades were mostly matte and there are fewer of them (since I do not wear eye shadow on a daily basis).





The Basics palette contains six neutral shades, 2 of them contain shimmer [Venus, Crave] (contrary to popular belief the brown-black shade does contain some sparse sparkle) and 4 of them matte[Foxy, W.O.S (Walk of Shame), Naked2, Faint].







Left to Right
Top Row: Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame
Bottom Row: Naked2, Faint, Crave

Shade Description:
Venus: White gold shimmery highlight color
Foxy: Soft pastel yellow butter color
W.O.S.: Pink toned beige (like the pink equivalent of foxy)
Naked2 : Cool toned taupey beige
Faint : Slightly warm neutral brwon
Crave : Deep brown-black containing sparse shimmer (almost undetectable)

For the darker shades, the formula of the powder is really creamy and soft, but the two lighter matte colors (foxy and WOS) can be a bit powdery. I find Foxy and WOS very hard to show up on my skin and sometimes even Naked2 can disappear on my skin tone. This palette would definitely be better suited for those with a very pale coloring (I've seen a lot of people use naked2 as a crease color, which I am not able to do without mixing it with Faint, but that might be because I have very little crease on one eye and virtually none on the other, sometimes being Asian sucks) or those that are darker. I have a light to medium skin tone, so foxy and WOS blends too easily into my skin and I have to put down quite a lot for them to show up. 

However, I do find Faint and Crave very useful for filling in and extending my eyebrows. I have black hair (but in a brown undertone, am I making sense?) and quite thick uneven brows, normally I don't do my brows at all because all "eyebrow" products I own are always too light (too brown, stands out from my real brows when I try to lengthen them) but using black powder just make me look like I placed 2 big caterpillars above my eyes. The combination allows a softer brown black (than just using crave alone) that looks like the color of my eyebrows without making them too dark.

The palette retails for USD$27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment