4.06.2013

Bourjois Healthy Mix

Left to right: Healthy Mix serum in 52 vanilla, Healthy Mix in 53 Light beige, Healthy Mix concealers in 53 Dark Radiance and 52 Medium Radiance
Before the last summer, I rarely use liquid foundation, just BB creams and powder foundations. Then I saw reviews upon reviews about this amazing foundation. I decided to give it a whirl. The Healthy Mix foundation promises to give a perfectly glowing complexion and toned skin for up to 16 hours, I personally have not had the thing sitting on my skin for that long, but I can say it lasts pretty well throughout the day. Bourjois describes it to be of perfect coverage in a semi matte finish, it is oil-free and "maintains essential skin hydration". From my point of view, it has more of  a light to medium coverage (more lenient to the medium). But it is indeed semi-matte, it looks very similar to real skin. Please do note that you will be able to see tiny shimmer in the foundation under strong sunlight (only one here or there, not easily detectable unless you are really looking for it). The shade 53 is perfect in mid-summer when i catch a tan, but now it is slightly too dark for me.
The foundation comes in a light plastic packaging with a vacuum pump that I really like (no wasting the product).

The Healthy Mix serum is lighter than the original in both the formula and coverage. It is described to be a gel foundation providing 16 hours of radiance boosting, even, revived complexion with a semi-matte finish. Interestingly the coverage indicated on this bottle is rated by three squares, with only one opaque square, I assume that it indicates the foundation to be of light coverage. It also claims to be an "instant blending gel, flawless complexion, undetectable coverage".  I think that it does give a very undetectable coverage, it blends in nicely with my skin and mimics skin texture nicely. The shade 52 is a perfect match for my cheeks but when used all over the face, it looks too neutral-pink (my cheeks are more neutral and my t-zone is slightly darker and more yellow) to match my neck, but still works in the winter when i'm more pale and generally more neutral in undertone. This foundation gives a more dewy finish than the original healthy mix, but unlike the original, it does not contain any shimmer. I find the texture of this foundation very similar to an oil free moisturizer, like the Shiseido Mattifying oil free moisturizer. The foundation comes in a plastic bottle with a regular pump.

The concealers are very creamy and longlasting and of medium-full coverage. As with the foundations, 53 is more yellow and 52 is more neutral. 53 is an exact match to my t-zone areas, whereas 52 is just a tad too light even for my cheeks at this time of the year (spring, awkward transition between winter pale and summer tan). They are marketed as a radiant and anti-fatigue correcting concealer with an oil-free and moisturizing formula. It seems they would like it to be a under-eye concealer, but personally I find it more fitting to conceal the rest of the face with this concealer than under the eyes. I have quite dry under eye areas (then later in the day they will be oily as hell, such a troublesome combination) and I do not find this concealer moisturizing at all. On days when my skin is drier, the concealer exacerbated the problem under the eyes. With this concealer, you have to be a bit careful, too thick a layer will make it look cakey, especially around the eyes. The concealer contains shimmer particles that are bigger than those found in the original healthy mix foundation, but contains fewer particles, so again, it's not really detectable unless you are looking for it. The shimmer does not make your face look shimmery. The concealer is packaged in a very sanitary squeeze tube with a slanted end (similar to packaging of the lancome juicy tubes). You only need very little of the product to cover a large area, the amount sampled on my hand in the photo below and slightly more will be sufficient to covering all my acne scarring on my face (which are small clusters on the hollows of both my cheeks, the apple of my right cheek, a small corner of my chin and any active acne and or scars on my forehead).
Please do note that the concealers are not a 100% shade match with their corresponding foundation shades.

They all claim to have various fruit extracts to help with radiance, hydration, anti-oxidant...etc and have strong fruity scents. The scents are not noticeable beyond initial application. But stay away from these if you are sensitive to fragrance or do not like fragrant face products. In my opinion, I think the scent is quite pleasant.

Top row: concentrated  Bottom row: spread out
Left to right: Healthy Mix Serum in 52, Healthy Mix in 53, Healthy Mix concealer in 53, Healthy Mix concealer in 52



No comments:

Post a Comment